Python Threading front end

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Feb 4 11:50:21 EST 2003

In article <dent-0402031613220001 at 192.168.0.1>,
Andy Dent <dent at oofile.com.au> wrote:
>In article <3bebb915.0301311636.21966519 at posting.google.com>,
>ajb128 at hotmail.com (AJ) wrote:
>>
>>I see that python has no problem running multiple threads as long as
>>the threads aren't running python code.
>
>huh?
>
>I've seen quite a bit of threaded code - http://beepy.sourceforge.net/
>is a fine example.

Yes, but AJ is correct: it's not running concurrent Python code.  In
order to have multiple threads executing simultaneously, you must call
out to an extension module that releases the Global Interpreter Lock.
Most of Python's I/O functions do this automatically.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach