Python Threading front end

Andy Dent dent at oofile.com.au
Tue Feb 4 03:13:22 EST 2003

In article <3bebb915.0301311636.21966519 at posting.google.com>,
ajb128 at hotmail.com (AJ) wrote:

>I see that python has no problem running multiple threads as long as
>the threads aren't running python code.
huh?

I've seen quite a bit of threaded code - http://beepy.sourceforge.net/ is
a fine example.

>Does anyone have any good thread examples? I've looked some but
>haven't found much.
A friend (working on simulations) recently pointed me to this.
http://zthread.sourceforge.net/

I was going to use it but as the project I'm currently on runs on OS/X,
Win32 and PocketPC and the thrice-bedamned Embedded VC won't compile
zthreads I ended up rolling my own (fairly simple needs).

>Can you "pause" a thread?
Sort of - you can code strategies in that make it possible to induce
pausing. eg: if you have a mutex on which you can block and you have the
threaded code check it occasionally, just grab that mutex from another
thread.

>Is any of this even worth trying to do?
sounds like it.

Have fun!

--
Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM    http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows