3D graphics programmers using Python?

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Feb 5 20:51:38 EST 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 9:53 am, Brandon Van Every wrote:
>>
>> A one-off has no economy of scale.  30 seconds vs. 1 minute, who
>> cares?  It only pays off if you're doing that kind of problem lotsa
>> times.
>
> You've only ever written one program?

Productivity is a weighted sum of all the problem domains you're exposed to,
times the amount you need to deal with each.  If text processing is 1% of
your problems, simple 3D graphics primitives 90%, and C++ is better at
simple 3D graphics than text processing, it's clear where the win is.

So you say, use both C++ and Python.  Well, what I've heard from game
industry types who have made the Python leap, is that this integration does
not come for free.  Maybe the debugging and integration tools are getting
better, but they sure were a pain in the butt in Humongous Entertainment's
experience.  They "solved" the problem by writing the needed tools.  Hope
their work has become the basis for something commonly used in the Python
community now.  If not, oh well, that's decentralized Open Source
development for ya!

There's also the issue of time.  I certainly do *not* have one week, in fact
not even one *day*, right now to spend on futzing with Python integration,
let alone for a one-off marginal gain.

20% of the world is real.