"self" in a class is annoying and errorprone

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Feb 12 17:58:45 EST 2003

Meinrad Recheis <meinrad.recheis at aon.at> wrote previously:
|I like python much, and i am using it a lot, the same as i like and
|use Ruby.

Obviously not -a lot-.  Maybe a very early first brush with a toy
program.  Even in a language that is as clear as Python, it takes more
than a day or two to understand the logic and feel of a language.  Try
using it for a whole week before indignantly trying to change it.

|rather than change yourself. I really can live with self - no question,
|allthough it is obvious that the design concerning "self" is not the
|best for python programmers.

The design of 'self' is a very good feature of Python.  Python would be
much worse if it were to lose this (but there is zero chance that will
every happen).

|i hope my bad english did not obfuscate my thoughts.

Your English is fine... it is the thoughts that are unclear.  If you use
Python to any real degree, you'll come to understand the strength of the
design of the 'self' feature.

Yours, Lulu...

--
---[ to our friends at TLAs (spread the word) ]--------------------------
Echelon North Korea Nazi cracking spy smuggle Columbia fissionable Stego