"self" in a class is annoying and errorprone

Meinrad Recheis meinrad.recheis at aon.at
Wed Feb 12 16:54:39 EST 2003

ok ladies, thanks for so many polite and humorous replays because
i should have read the FAQ or Googled through the group. - my fault.

I like python much, and i am using it a lot, the same as i like and use
Ruby.

An experience we allways make in daily life: Don't try to change others
rather than change yourself. I really can live with self - no question,
allthough it is obvious that the design concerning "self" is not the
best for python programmers.

the Authors of Python should know, that it is a great deal that they
created a language that makes our life easier. In this sense, they also
might be convinced, that the transparence of the self variable would be
more in the spirit of python (i must admit, that i dont know what amount
of work such a change costs) I think, i could be done by "pretending the
presence of self by the python interpreter".

thats what i think. i hope my bad english did not obfuscate my thoughts.

Regards
- Meinrad