Tutorial/Review link to c.l.p

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Fri Feb 7 13:11:15 EST 2003

pedro alvarez wrote:
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/GuiProgramming would be the
>> starting point.
>
> Okay, i went there and followed the links.There is a
> lot of information on the various toolkits, but one person cant keep
> up to date on 25+ toolkits. Some of comparisions date back to 1999.
> I dont see how i would be able to improve on that, investigating and
> keeping links and technical developments up to date.

I was thinking of the following scenario:
- a discussion on c.l.p about GUI toolkits, which culminates in a discussion
about the widgets present
- you (or anyone else who cares) summarizes this thread by creating a page
WidgetsComparison. You paste the important statements, grouped by toolkit
- because you know wxPython best, you add a list of all the widgets
available in wxPython
- someone else feels that this doesn't do Tkinter justice and adds a list of
all the Tkinter widgets plus those of Pmw or whatever library is available
- one year later, someone notices that a widget has been added to wxPython
and adds it to the list
- someone notices that not all tree widgets are created alike, he creates a
table which allows for a more detailed comparison of individual widgets
- someone notices that the Python cookbook has some recipes about the
wxPython TreeWidget, he adds a link
- another discussion on c.l.p about GUI toolkits. You suggest to someone who
seems very knowlegable in pywhatever that he fills in the details about
pywhatever in the wiki

So
- initiate this part of the wiki
- write about the stuff you know about
- encourage others to write about the stuff they know about

> and always change the summaries. I could just provide a topic and a
> date

Does this really beat searching c.l.p on Google groups?

Daniel