Tutorial/Review link to c.l.p

pedro alvarez dickerc6 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 8 21:12:20 EST 2003

>From: Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net>
>Greetings, Pedro. I am a novice, beginning programmer who has been
>experimenting with Python for about two years now. I am not a refugee from
>anotherr language at all, although I did do a little programming in various
>languages 25 years ago in university. By and large though, I am a true
>beginner.

I think it may be better sharing your experiences in
a new topic post .

>You might want to take a look at my web page where I have sort of
>documented my exploration from a beginners's point of view, taking a look
>at gui toolkits from that point of view as well. The site is at
>http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html

Cool site. Similar to what I had in mind. But why do you keep it secret?
And also I havent seen anyone giving a link to your site concerning choice
of Gui's. How do you keep it updated?
I remember having been to your site before, having followed a link from
slashdot,
but at that time I was investigating ruby.

>My experience is that Python is a good language for true beginners. I had
>made abortive attempts to start learning to program in both Java and Perl
>but those atttempts never took off. After I began playing with Python, I
>never looked back. I am still not a true *programmer* but I do have as much
>fun with programming as a hobby as possible. If I had the time to really
>dedicate myself to learning to program in Python, I believe it would be a
>good choice of language and I would be successful.

Again, see my first point.

>I suspect that VB with its forms for creating simple gui user input pages
>woud be easier in some ways, but having programmed in basic in college and
>briefly trying VB in one of its early incarnations, I think Python is much
>more likely to inspire a novice to become truly in love with programming
>than VB ever could. VB is more for customizing simple interactions with
>Windows computers; Python is a true programming language one can learn to
>love. At least that's my point of view. ;-)))

My first recollections of programming began when my instructor resurected a
centuries old tattered flowchart book back from the dead. He used that to
teach us programming basics, before moving on to C. To be frank, I have only
a shallow understanding of vb, not enough to
be able to (ahem, cough) appreciate its subleties.

Pedro