Case sensitivity - serious question; no answer expected

Jedi Master Yoda yoda at dagobah.org
Wed Feb 26 11:28:10 EST 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:55:11 -0800, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> spouted:
> Indeed.  This is a semireligious issue in that neither side will ever
> come to a consensus, even if neither side can articulate their reasons
> for their beliefs.  As such, Python is now a case sensitive language and
> thus it makes very little sense to try to change that (which we've heard
> from even those that would prefer case insensitivity).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would not the terms of the Python license
permit anyone who wanted, to release their own, case-insensitive Python?

Such forks have happened before in the open-source world. I'm not
seriously suggesting that anyone do this, but the possibility seems to
render such discussion pointless.

Don't like [insert Python 'wart']? So change it, and release your own
version. We'll see which one wins out. Anything else is just
hand-waving, surely.