Simple TCP Server || Daemonize || Continuous

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Tue Feb 4 05:44:11 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:10:09AM -0500, Metnetsky wrote:
> I found the following code courtesy of the great Python docs (thank you
> whomever).  I was wondering what I might have to do in order to turn this
> simple TCP-server into a *nix daemon, and how to keep the server accepting
> continuous connections.  I tried playing around with the code to keep it
> going, but I'm apparently not completely understanding the code (which I'm
> sure I can get).  The big thing here is the transformation into a daemon.
> How can I make this python script fork itself away from it's parent?

The easiest way, in my opinion, is to let a library like Twisted do it for
you.

    http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/plugin

    http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/servers

Twisted will handle concurrent connections and daemonisation for you, and
lots more.  What sort of server do you want to write?

-Andrew.