One drawback of python... [I object!]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 12 11:59:03 EST 2003

"WP" <warrenpstma at _______.com.hotmail> wrote in message
news:cku2a.1981$3g1.223866 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> Here's my question: Is there a GUI toolkit for Python that makes
> subclassing and writing new widgets as easy as it is to write new
> widgets for Delphi's VCL?  How does one get around the opaque-ness
of
> Python GUI libraries? There are no GUI libraries (afaik) that are
> written in 100% pure python, they are mostly wrappers of something
> written in something else (Tcl, C/C++).

Given that Python does not give direct access to hardware or even
system calls, something has to be wrapped eventually.  However, pyui
<pyui.sourceforge.net> "is a user interface library written entirely
in the high-level language Python" (on top of backend graphics
renderers).

> What about a RAD IDE equivalent to Delphi? Boa Constructor was a
noble
> effort, and I intended to contribute to its development, but
couldn't
> get over my distaste of the wxWindows API. No offense to Robin Dunn,
> because he did a great service to the Python community by developing
> wxPython, but the thing about GUI wrappers is they should probably
> expose the raw API of the underlying C++ code, but that is a
trade-off
> approach, by its very nature. Perhaps its the best solution for many
> people, but i have a hard time giving up Delphi to go to that
approach.

Would a PyRAD on top of pyui strike you as better?  No idea.

Terry J. Reedy