One drawback of python... [I object!]

Geraldo Lopes de souza precisa at uai.com.br
Wed Feb 12 13:22:34 EST 2003

I agree and disagree ! See notes

"WP" <warrenpstma at _______.com.hotmail> escreveu na mensagem
news:cku2a.1981$3g1.223866 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> Gumuz wrote:
> > One drawback of python I recently realised is that it takes away a lot
of
> > fun in 'other' programming languages. I programmed in Delphi on and off,
for
> > a few years. I only started doing python for half a year and I'm totally
in
> > love with it and capable of many, many more things then I can with
Delphi.

> Really sorry to disagree but, I have a hard time believing you got
> anywhere with Delphi then, or understood the power of Delphi.
>
> Python lover that I am, I would prefer Python on almost every level. The
> syntax is nice, the reflectiveness is nice, and for non-GUI scripting,
> text processing, and as an extension language, I think Python is nearly
> perfect. But for writing commercial line-of-business GUI applications,
> Delphi still beats everything else. I've been a Delphi developer for
> about 6 years now.

I'm developing since Delphi 1, and I agree that nothing beats delphi when
you need a gui to database. I'm using IBObjects, a specific library of
controls
to Interbase / Firebird. It's simply fantatistic.

> Here's my question: Is there a GUI toolkit for Python that makes
> subclassing and writing new widgets as easy as it is to write new
> widgets for Delphi's VCL?  How does one get around the opaque-ness of
> Python GUI libraries? There are no GUI libraries (afaik) that are
> written in 100% pure python, they are mostly wrappers of something
> written in something else (Tcl, C/C++).  An effort to recode the Tcl API
> in 100% python, and drop the requirement to run a Tcl interpreter inside
> Python's Tkinter was made, but was abandoned. Was it ever revived?

We don't need a 100% pure python GUI. When Borland ported delphi to linux
they have used a "wrapper of something written in something else (C++)" QT,
instead of writing a delphi pure one from the scracth.

> What about a RAD IDE equivalent to Delphi? Boa Constructor was a noble
> effort, and I intended to contribute to its development, but couldn't
> get over my distaste of the wxWindows API. No offense to Robin Dunn,
> because he did a great service to the Python community by developing
> wxPython, but the thing about GUI wrappers is they should probably
> expose the raw API of the underlying C++ code, but that is a trade-off
> approach, by its very nature. Perhaps its the best solution for many
> people, but i have a hard time giving up Delphi to go to that approach.

I've tried boa when it was alpha but without success due to multiples
crashes.
I've download the last version from the sourceforge, and I'm very impressed
with
its stability. Great work. If you read the "to do list" you'll see that
databound controls
are in the list. We need mobilize developers to achieve this goal.

Thanks and sorry my english.