Web application development in Python?

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Tue Feb 4 14:54:47 EST 2003

"Afanasiy" <abelikov72 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9d004vsv3u7i0kohvp1p3oh729sdk1im4d at 4ax.com...
> On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 18:53:59 GMT, "dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote:
>

> >"Hans Nowak" <wurmy at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >news:qKQ%9.6808$6P2.768505 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> >>
> >> For work, we're going to need a Python web application framework.
> >>
> >> However, there is a slight problem.  The eventual app will run on
Linux,
> >but it
> >> will have to be developed on Windows.
> >
> >It strikes me that if you are expecting it to later run on Linux, that
you
> >will need to have some Linux understanding to fix the inevitable.  That
> >said, an install of RedHat or Mandrake is so easy these days that you
might
> >as well make one of those win32 computers into a dual booter.  Not only
will
> >you fix your bugs earlier, but you will not need to limit yourself in
weird
> >artificial ways (i.e. somethign cross platform).
>
> I'll never miss Linux peer pressure. Process possibilities
> and add an open-mind to the list of all other things open.

I'm not sure I understand what this means, but I'll take it as a flame.  The
OP said he was going to use Linux.  My suggestion was, if this is the case,
he should be familier with the system before deploying.  Note that I didn't
say to replace Windows, or use Linux for anything else, but only to use it
for developing a website which was to later run on Linux.  If he wrote and
said "We have an all Linux shop, but we are going to create a website to
deploy on a Windows server" my advice would have been to get a windows
computer to learn what it does well, and what it does badly, and to
generally make the process smoother.

For example, if the OP was going to write a travel book for Japanese
speakers visiting England, I would suggest writing the book in Japanese
rather than in English as the process of translation would be an extra step
of difficulty. This would not make me an advocate for anything.

While Python is powerfully cross platform, there are still things which work
differently on different platforms.  This is only exascerbated when there is
a webserver in the loop.  Developing on one system for deployment on another
is thus, at best, frought with peril.

Whether you want to call this "peer pressure" or not, I'll note that I don't
actually like or use Linux.  (My own website currently runs in win32 though
it is moving over the next few months as it is too expensive.) Further, I
didn't suggest to the OP that his choice to use Linux was positive or
negative, but just that it should not be discounted from the decision of
what system to use in development.  I did suggest that I had found a system
that I liked, but that it had some difficulties built in, the suggestion
being that, again, everything is different, and it is best to be aware of
differences and limitations going in.

Cheers,

-d