Web application development in Python?

Geoffrey Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Tue Feb 4 15:47:02 EST 2003

Ian Bicking [mailto:ianb at colorstudy.com] wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 09:11, Hans Nowak wrote:
> > However, there is a slight problem.  The eventual app will
> > run on Linux, but it
> > will have to be developed on Windows.  Most of the programs
> > above seem to be
> > Linux- (or more specifically, Apache-) oriented.  Also, if
> > possible, we'd
> > rather avoid CGI, because of the overhead it incurs.  (For
> > testing and
> > developing it's fine, but not when we actually run the app "live".)
>
> As mentioned before, Webware works fine on Windows, and has been used
> like this by a number of core developers.  You may want to try 0.8b3
> (0.8 just around the corner)... the install guide has been updated
> (though I need more feedback from Windows users).  You should use the
> WebKit.exe CGI adapter -- when you move to Linux (or Apache
> on Windows)
> using a faster adapter is seamless.

A small correction -- it's called wkcgi.exe, not WebKit.exe.  This is the
best way to get started with Webware on Windows and it will work with any
web server that supports cgi, including Apache or IIS.  Performance will be
good enough for development purposes and for low volume production servers.

You can get better speed later on Windows or Linux by switching to Apache
(either 1.3.X or 2.X are supported) with the mod_webkit module.

We are running a production "extranet" application using Apache 2.0.44 and
Webware 0.8b2 with mod_webkit on Windows 2000.

As with most open source projects, the majority of Webware users are using
Linux but I can certainly vouch that Webware works well on Windows.

- Geoff