Python on a single board computer

WP warrenpstma at _______.com.hotmail
Tue Feb 18 17:04:44 EST 2003

Phil Schmidt wrote:
> Has anyone put Python on a little SBC?
>
> At work, we're looking into the possibility of using a little Linux
> board around the $200 range (there are a bunch out there) for some
> projects. This board would have around 16-32 Meg of flash disk and
> maybe 8 meg of RAM, ethernet, digital I/O ports, perhaps some A/D
> channels, and probably a serial port or two.
>
> With me being the lone Python geek here, advocating that Python would
> be an ideal platform for many of the things we do here, I thought it
> would be cool (important) and useful (more important) to install
> Python on whatever SBC we might settle on.
>
> I'm thinking that this shouldn't be too hard, especially if we get a
> board that we can cross-compile to using gcc on a Windows/Linux PC. Am
> I right or wrong?

I put it onto a small 80386 based single board computer.
I used Python 1.5.2 for it's small size and relatively simple code.
If you can run Linux on your SBC, you should have no problem running
a full Python, but if you are running without an RTOS, I think there
is a version using DJGPP.

Just to get the flavour, look at this on, which won't help you unless
you use the Pharlap (Venturcom) ETS RTOS:
http://starship.python.net/crew/wpostma

Here's the DOS/DJGPP version:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bdeck/

Warren