PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Feb 21 00:44:07 EST 2003

[I promised myself I wasn't going to respond any further, but my spirit
is weak.]

In article <3E4FB85A.C7FE3F2B at alcyone.com>,
Erik Max Francis  <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

>The problem with the parallel is that some people are using the and/or
>trick _as if_ it were a conditional operator; they've elevated it to an
>idiom, but it's a broken idiom.
>
>We've already seen several examples from the standard library (whether
>corrected later or not) that used the idiom incorrectly; we're well past
>the theoretical question of whether and/or can be misunderstood and
>misused.

I've seen all too many cases where a simple negated conditional was used
incorrectly.  Surely you don't believe that's cause for claiming that
simple negated conditionals are misunderstood and misused.

Register for PyCon now!  http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html