Python and p2p

Max maxx at easynews.com
Wed Feb 5 14:32:42 EST 2003

A poor coder from a poor country should be more resourceful. Tools like Python
are a goldmine in themselves, potentially eliminating the need for commercial
reference materials.

Here is a "fact of life": Python is an opensource tool. The wealth of freely
available documentation, tutorials and examples _by definition_ far outweigh
what you will find for a commercial product! If can't find good material to
learn Python from the web, consider looking harder.

It seems you are complaining that you cannot find free, pirated copies of books
on a P2P sharing network, and attempting to justify your complaints by
suggesting that the authors would benefit from piracy? I think most authors
would disagree.

If you are going to base the usefulness of any product by the availablity of
pirated material, perhaps you are looking at the wrong occupation entirely!

BTW: In 20 years in this field, I have never known an author to write a book to
get contracts or jobs, other reasons are often primary. If anything, being
published is a good resume point, but secondary to time earned experience.

[Now this is a fun thread!]

A selection of quotes from the original post follows: