"home not defined"

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Feb 21 14:11:33 EST 2003

Nicolas Forget wrote:

> Hello, i'm using windows 2k pro. I've installed python 2.2 and when i'm
> trying to use a python script, i get this message "home not defined".
> Could somebody help me to know how to solve this problem?

When asking such a question, it's always helpful if you would cut
and paste the *exact* text of the error message, plus any surrounding
context if possible, into your posting.  Without it you're forcing us
to make broad guesses as to what's actually happening, thus usually
wasting a fair bit of time on wild goose chases, interesting though they
tend to be to this strange crowd. :-)

In this case, I am guessing that your script wants to see a HOME
environment variable, which suggests it is intended to run under
Linux and not Win2K (which probably doesn't define this env var)
but as I said, that's a wild guess.

It would also help to know what the script is (home-brewed?
downloaded from somewhere?  got a name?) and what it is supposed
to be doing.

-Peter