Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Andy Freeman anamax at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 12:26:26 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message news:<%In%9.4882$6P2.543391 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> Andy Freeman wrote:
> >
> > In a way, I use templates much as I use functions/procedures and
> > inheritance.
> > Doing without would be simpler, but not better.
>
> I don't create a more abstract class until it is proven that I need one.

Do you write inline code for matrix multiplication or do you use a (small)
set of procedures?

The "need" for procedures is that you're doing basically the same thing
in multiple contexts, such as different arguments.

The "need" is to avoid writing basically the same thing multiple times.
Procedures satisfy that need in some contexts and templates satisfy it
in others.  There is no difference in kind.  (The observant reader
noticed that I said nothing about classes.  Some templates are classes,
others aren't, but the same argument applies to both.)

Van Every seems to think that C++ templates are a heavy duty tool.  They're
not.