Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Sat Feb 8 10:38:35 EST 2003

Aahz> Right.  In general, Python has focused on mechanisms for reducing
Aahz> stylistic diversity, because that makes programs easier to read.

But Python has lots of features that increase stylistic diversity,
such as the ability to define functions in or out of classes, compound
assignment operators, operator overloading, list comprehensions,
lambda expressions, and so on.

For that matter, in the first round of the public-comment period for
the C++ standard, we received a comment from one country that they
would not approve the standard as long as it allowed for multiple ways
of achieving the same affect, and to that end this country insisted
that we remove the ++ and -- operators from the language, as we could
achieve the same effect by adding or subtracting 1.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark