PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Paul Rubin http
Tue Feb 11 22:58:33 EST 2003

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
> > I intensely dislike "x and y else z".  "Explicit is better than
> > implicit" to me specifically means avoiding this type of cutesy
> > overloading.
>
> Do you intensely dislike it more or less than the current idiom "x and
> y or z"?

The current idiom is not something to like or dislike, since for some
values of x and y, it's just plain incorrect.  Its existence as a
widespread idiom is basically a bug.  The question we're discussing is
whether to fix the bug or let it stand.  "x and y else z" is a
proposed fix that I dislike for the reasons I explained.