Perl Vs Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Feb 27 10:58:08 EST 2003

"John Smith" <someone at microsoft.com> writes:

> Steve:
>
> I am not trying to get anyone to fight anyone, quite he contrary..

Well, it looks like you've managed it anyway.

> And by the way, if one or both of the languages has some superiority, so be
> it, then maybe the other will either complement or bu enhanced. This is
> supposed to be the spirit of the FSF, that I greatly endorse. The KED and
> GNOME story may tell you something.

Both languages have strong and weak points. Some people find the weak
points of one language to be major flaws, or the strong points of one
to be major wins, or maybe even both - in which case they have a clear
preference. What some people consider a strong point in one language
other people will consider a weak point. So the real answer is, as has
been suggested here, try them both and see.

Perl has more than one way to do things. This is a philosophy for the
language. Some consider this a good thing, some consider it a bad
thing.

Python uses indentation for grouping instead of having explicit
grouping tokens. Some consider this a good thing, some consider it a
bad thing.

Perl has regular experssions as a fundamental type.

Python is OO all the way to the bottom, and has a library that's
OO as well.

Unless you let us know what's important to you so we can comment on
it, you need to evaluate them both yourself.

        <mike