why not extending the syntax for classes, too ?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Feb 9 16:48:35 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:

> Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote in message
> news:<3E45EA12.5BA3A0F9 at alcyone.com>...
>
> > Because it means renaming what?
>
> This is a rethorical question, isn't it ?
> Holger has already explained why "as" can be as confusing as "is".

Oh, okay!  I got it.  In the process of responding to this post, I
realized what my confusion was:  I misinterpreted his objection; when he
said "as" involved renaming, I thought he meant "Well, if we use 'as'
then will have to rename 'is' in the proposal," which seemed a totally
vacuous argument.

Instead he was saying that "as" means "renaming" as in

	import something as somethingElse

i.e., you want to import something, but import it locally as
somethingElse, which is a form of renaming.  I've never heard it
described with that word, so I thought he meant some other form of
renaming, and the only form I could think of was the actual use of "is"
in the proposal, which is a pretty stupid argument (but one he did not
make!).  ("Let's use X."  "I would prefer Y."  "Yeah, but using Y would
mean not using X.")

> As I said, in both cases, the probability to be confused is 0.000001%.
> You cannot convince me "is" is more confusing than "as" or of the
> contrary.

Fair enough.  I still think "as" is marginally better, since its use at
present only exists as an auxiliary keyword (it means nothing without
context) but I'm willing to concede that it's a judgement call and you
and Holger don't buy it.

/  \ Life is an effort that deserves a better cause.
\__/ Karl Kraus
    Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/
 Alcyone Systems, San Jose, California.