ANNOUNCE: xsdb -- the eXtremely Simple Database goes alpha

Paul McGuire ptmcg at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 16 18:32:54 EST 2003

"Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.43.1071082685.9307.python-list at python.org...

>     >> Probably because Stackless made it easier to write the server
without
>     >> having to wrestle an async socket library such as Medusa or
Twisted.

>     Istvan> The question that needs to be answered is whether it would be
>     Istvan> worth to wrestle with those rather than locking out the vast
>     Istvan> majority of the potential users.
>
> I imagine Aaron provides the code (it is hosted on SF, after all).  All
you
> need to do is port it to use Twisted or Medusa, then feed the diffs back
> Aaron.  If it results in broader reach for xsdb without making the
existing
> code a nightmare to maintain, he'll probably fold it in.
>
> Skip

Well, actually, retro-installing Stackless isn't all that difficult.  I had
already upgraded to Python 2.3, but wanted to experiment with xsdb.  I
installed Python2.2 in its own tree, downloaded Stackless, and copied the
compiled .libs into the Python 2.2 tree.  Then went to the xsdb directory,
and wrote a short setup.bat file to tweak my PATH to look at Python2.2 ahead
of Python2.3, and then run the xsdb startup script.  Now I can fire up an
xsdb server using Python2.2+Stackless, and then hit at it from my mainline
Python 2.3 client environment.

Since this Stackless requirement would only be needed on server machines,
this really shouldn't impair any serious deployment.  xsdb has some very
interesting features that, if they work out, will be well worth this minor
inconvenience.

-- Paul