nonlinear least square

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Dec 23 15:01:56 EST 2003

Dmitry Rozmanov <dima at xenon.spb.ru> writes:

> I am looking for simple and convenient way to do nonlinear least
> square fit from within Python.
>
> I know that there are such a modules in Scientific Python and SciPy
> has it. But I would like to have it small and simple. Module with just
> this functionality. It can be not very fast, but in pure python for
> beter compatibility.
[...]

Konrad Hinsen's implementation in Scientific Python *is* in pure
Python, and as a consequence is probably about as simple as you're
going to get, I imagine.  Is it dependencies on Scientific Python that
you don't like?  If so, just dive in and remove them, if it's that
important to you -- I doubt you'll find a better pure Python
implementation.

I can certainly testify that SciPy's MINPACK wrapper works fine, too.
I can dig out some example code if you like.

John