True standard Windows app in Python?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 28 19:50:52 EST 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:28:42 +0100, Pjer Holton
<no.mail.please at se.invalid> wrote:
> If I were to build a Windows application that is a true standard Windows
> application in every conceivable way

It depends on what the app does, there are some things you simply
can't do with python in Windows even with winall installed. But
then again there are things you can't do with MFC and C++. It
depends what you are aiming for.

> and that adheres to the MS Windows
> standards as much as possible (installation, GUI, printing, registry, RTF
> etc.),

If you want to get the Windows "kite-mark" then probably Python
is not the best solution, then again if you want to produce it
quickly and cheaply... Pick the tool for the job. Most commercial
apps on Windows are still written in C++ for performance reasons
and because you get access to all the windows stiuff when you
need it. But that comes at a significant price in terms of
effort.

> What packages, libraries and modules would you recommend for GUI,
> installation, data storage etc.?

If you do go down the Python route I'd recommend either the MFC
stuff in winall, or maybe Qt or wxPython. They all use the native
toolkit/API under the covers.

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website