Is anyone using Python for .NET?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Dec 16 18:07:27 EST 2003

> Is anyone using Python for .NET?  I mean Brian's version at Zope,

I'm using it.

> Not the experimental ActiveState stuff, which tried to compile IL and
> apparently didn't succeed.

Microsoft funded it as a proof of concept. The concept was proven.

> 1) whether to use it for my C++ / C# / .NET / Python (?) game project.
> It's a prototype, so in this context a "mostly working beta" is
> acceptable.

A lot of important features (like subclassing abstract classes and
implementing interfaces) don't work yet. Whenever that has bitten me, I've
written a simple C# class to help me bridge into Python.

> I won't need "ready for prime time" for another year yet.

In another year it is possible that Python compiled to IL will be faster
than CPython in most cases. But it is really hard to say.

Cheers,
Brian