Is anyone using Python for .NET?

Brandon J. Van Every try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 17:05:04 EST 2003

Is anyone using Python for .NET?  I mean Brian's version at Zope, which
simply accesses .NET in a one-way fashion from Python.
http://www.zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet
Not the experimental ActiveState stuff, which tried to compile IL and
apparently didn't succeed.

Two motives for the question:

1) whether to use it for my C++ / C# / .NET / Python (?) game project.  It's
a prototype, so in this context a "mostly working beta" is acceptable.  I
won't need "ready for prime time" for another year yet.

2) whether it's viable at this time to consult Python + .NET interop as a
business model to various Suits.  I'm gathering that due to lack of
resources on Brian's webpage, and lack of responses on their mailing list,
that it isn't.  Suits need to perceive support, after all.

So I'm wondering who's kicking Python for .NET's tires, as that would be
part of the agenda of getting Python development to be .NET friendly.

Why have that agenda?  Well, Microsoft does generally succeed at
out-marketing everybody, so if you're with them rather than against them,
you have a much better chance of having your technology widely adopted.
Also, people actually like .NET language interop for its technical merits
alone.  It's a rare case where Microsoft is actually leading the industry
rather than cloning and conquering.  The clone is now Mono, in the Unix
world.  I hope that eventually, at least the IL components of .NET are not a
Microsoft thing per se.  Programmers need easy language interop solutions.

--
Cheers,                          www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every                Seattle, WA

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."