Can Python be run off of a CD-ROM?

cmkl cmkleffner at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 06:28:25 EST 2003

I've done this with Python-2.3.2-1 on Windows
with installing a 'registry free' Python on
local network. It should work with a CD-ROM
copy as well.

First step is to install Python on a machine
locally as a non-administrator. You could
change this as an option in the Python installer.
The non-admin option ensures, that all needed
DLLs are packed in the Python directory rather the
Windows system directory.
Next step are win32all, wxPython, GTK, pyGTK
and all other needed packages.

This version uses the registry, but the registry
wouldn't be readed if you set the enviroment
variables %PYTHONHOME% and %PYTHONPATH%.

If you want to use pyGTK you have to change the
PATH variable too. For some systems with old versions
of some MS DLLs you may want to ensure that the
DLLs delivered with the Python packages are loaded
at runtime. I use a variable called "PY_DEPRECATED_OS".
All MS DLLs have to be moved in a dedicated directory,
i.e. %PYTHONHOME%DLLs\MS_DLLs . (see example below)

All this enviroment tweaking could be done by startup
batch files instead of changing the enviroment on every
Windows client (except the PY_DEPRECATED_OS variable)
See the Pythonwin.bat file below. You can create startup
files for python, pythonw, idle as needed.

----- Pythonwin.bat example -------------------------------------
@echo off
setlocal

if not "x%PYTHONHOME%" == "x" goto _START
rem   never overwrite PYTHONHOME, PYTHONPATH und PATH
rem   if PYTHONHOME was still set in enviroment

if not "x%OS%" == "xWindows_NT" goto _WINDOWS9X
rem   Windows NT and Win9x differs
set PYTHONHOME=%~dp0
goto _PYTHONPATH

:_WINDOWS9X
set PYTHONHOME=%0\..\
goto _PYTHONPATH

:_PYTHONPATH
rem   PYTHONPATH for win32all
set PYTHONPATH=%PYTHONHOME%lib\site-packages\Pythonwin;%PYTHONHOME%lib\site-packages\win32;%PYTHONHOME%lib\site-packages\win32\lib

rem   PATH for GTK-2.0
set PATH=%PYTHONHOME%..\GTK\2.0\bin;%PYTHONHOME%..\GTK\2.0\lib;%PATH%

rem   PATH for MS DLLs
if "x%PY_DEPRECATED_OS%" == "xTRUE" set
PATH=%PYTHONHOME%DLLs\MS_DLLs;%PATH%

:_START