What GUI toolkit looks the best?

Jon Franz jfranz at neurokode.com
Thu Dec 11 15:35:51 EST 2003

> > What's wrong with Jython? I haven't used it myself, but have always
wondered
> > why it's not mentioned when different Python GUI:s are discussed.
>
> Jython + SWT is a pretty cool combination. SWT is a well-designed, high
> performance portable toolkit using native widgets. Python is our favorite
> language. If they could be married without Java it would be even better.
>
>    Oren

I use jython + java swing for a large, ongoing contract.  The plugable look
& feels allow you to add some nice UI skins to your application with 1 or
two lines of code - I use the 'Alloy' look and feel from incors
(http://www.incors.com/lookandfeel/index.php) - though it does cost.

One nice thing with swing (and forgive me if SWT does this, I am not
familiar with it) is that most widgets will allow html to be used within the
text for simple markup - allowing for easy display of formatted paragraphs,
bold text, etc.  It also comes in handy when you want to throw an image onto
a label widget.

You can use sun's one-studio (netbeans) to design your gui, and then use the
classes it generates within your jython code fairly easily.  I find myself
creating quick and dirty forms all the time by hand in jython (its just so
fast - so few lines of code), but I am convert a lot of them to actual java
classes later for increased speed.

I'm off to look into SWT...

~Jon Franz
NeuroKode Labs, LLC