What GUI toolkit looks the best?

Brian Kelley bkelley at wi.mit.edu
Thu Dec 11 13:38:25 EST 2003

Cameron Laird wrote:

> I want to say a few words about portability and comparisons.
>
> I'm very reluctant to advise "see what you like the best" in regard to
> GUI toolkits
> the way I do for high-level languages.  We all know it's entirely
> realistic to counsel a newcomer, "Give yourself an hour, and you can
> download and install Python (or Perl, or Ruby, or ...) and try it out
> for yourself.  You'll get a good first impression of how the language
> operates."

That's not quite what I meant.  The first step (for me) is finding out
what the toolkit supports.  For example, tcl/Tk doesn't have a good grid
widget out of the box so for my project it was a non-starter which left
Qt, wxPython and GTK+

> stopped doing business under that name three and a half years ago.  <URL:
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/tk > is a safe choice.

I would recommend http://www.tcl.tk/ actually which points to the same
place as http://www.scriptics.com/

Brian