Why Python won't work on .net

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Dec 10 02:34:23 EST 2003

Gustavo Campanelli <birdiepageANTI at SPAMciudad.FILTERcom.ar> wrote:

>As far as I've learned so far, .net is good for client server but not
>that great for standalone because of the need for the .net runtime to
>run things, which creates a large overhead.

Disk space is cheap and getting cheaper.  Overhead is just not the issue it
once was.  Plus, the run-time only has to be installed once, and it will be
included in all future Microsoft operating systems.

>Performance is an issue too, as everything compiles JIT.

This is less of an issue than you might think.  As you say, everything is
compiled the first time it is encountered, so anything used more than one
is actually native code.  I'm also dubious, but people I respect tell me
that .NET program performance is surprisingly good.

Plus, the standard library is quite outstanding.  It rivals Python's, and
exceeds it in Microsoft-centric areas.

>I think that's why although .net is a great
>idea, a lot of languages will remain language of choice for
>standalone/no runtimes/speed critical/cross platform aplications. I
>could be wrong, but I don't think I'm far from the truth.

There are rumors that the Windows release after Longhorn might be
restricted to CLR/.NET programs only.  I don't know what that actually
means, nor what the sentencing guidelines are for violating the rule, but
there it is.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.