Some problems for exercises

vivek at cs.unipune.ernet.in vivek at cs.unipune.ernet.in
Sun Dec 7 23:12:11 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 09:37:20PM +0000, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> vivek at cs.unipune.ernet.in fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 07
> December 2003 02:26 am:
>

> > 4. Database programming with PostgreSQL
> >
>         OUCH!
>
>         Without knowing their backgrounds I could easily fill four hours on
> just relational database THEORY (normal forms, etc.) without even
> getting down to any particular RDBM software. The looseness of MySQL
> might be a touch easier to work with, since it doesn't enforce
> referential integrity (try explaining that to newbies).

As I mentioned in my post they are Computer Science Teachers in other colleges.
So we can safely assume that they atleast know these basic things. At least
they have some familiarity with these concepts. And also they have just
attended the classes in RDBMS. There were lectures on Oracle DBA. So, I think
that it will not be a problem with them. Also our main focus will be on Python.

> > Although I have prepared the presentation slides etc. I was unable to
> > think of some good problems for exercises, which can cover the above
> > mentioned topics well and also by solving them they can learn Python
> > in an easy and fast way.
> >
>         In four hours?

That means four hours of theory lectures and four hours of practical sessions.

>         Let's see, a local Tkinter front-end for adding/modifying records in
> the database, with a CGI back-end to an HTML "on-line ordering form"
> accessing the same database. I suspect you'd have to predefine the
> database schema -- if they have to do that analysis along with
> designing applications for it <shudder>

Thanks,
Vivek Kumar