What GUI toolkit looks the best?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Dec 11 10:01:11 EST 2003

In article <7xekvb1koc.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
>claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
>> Paul, I certainly can understand your dismissal of Tkinter
>> as it's commonly employed.  Are you aware, though, of <URL:
>> http://tcl.projectforum.com/tk/Home > and <URL:
>> http://mini.net/tcl/10424 >?  Tkinter might, in fact, best
>> meet your requirements.
>
>No I'm not.  I wrote one tkinter application just to try it out and
>while it was nice for putting up a quick and dirty gui, it looked very
>crude and the API was also quite inflexible.  I clicked the first of
>those two url's and it seems to be an in-progress discussion about how
>to rework tcl to fix its limitations, but I don't want to rely on
>something that's not yet already working.  Thanks though.

I persist at this out of concern that I'm not making things clear.
My stake, incidentally, is that you be successful, not that you
use any particular toolkit.

The second URL gives working code that you can use immediately in
your own applications to improve their appearance.  This is not an
extension or anything at all difficult or constraining; it's just
a little prologue that refines the standard Tkinter appearance.
It *is* in use, right now, in several applications that must have
professional appearances.  The first URL is about committee work,
essentially, that will fold the enhancements of the second URL
back into the standard Tk distribution.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net