Is Python Mac Centric???

hokieghal99 hokiegal99 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 11:23:51 EST 2003

While trying to learn more about Python's standard modules, I noticed
that there are *a lot* of Mac only modules... more so than Unix and
Windows specific modules combined. Is there a reason for this? I am
familiar with the Windows extensions by Mr. Hammond and wonder if
they'll ever become apart of the official Python distribution. It looks
as if something similar already exists for Macs with all these Mac only
modules. Why is this?

Also, I've noticed that OSX 10.3 comes with Python 2.3 installed, but
that Windows XP does not. Python installation is much more cumbersome on
Windows. The user has to dl Python and then Mr. Hammond's extensions to
get up to speed with the new Macs out of the box. Does Python play
favorites? I think it would have a much larger user base if Windows user
got what mac users get.

Could someone explain this to me? I don't mean this to start a platform
war as I'm really agnostic on the matter. Just curious.

Thanks!!!