Installing PyOpenGL - can't find libnumarray module

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Dec 29 14:33:50 EST 2003

Steven Gutstein wrote:

>This is probably a fairly newbie type problem, but I'm trying to use
>PyOpenGL, and don't seem to have installed it correctly.

>ImportError: No module named libnumarray

>The main problem seems to be the lack of a libnumarray module. However,
>
>I have already installed numarray, and have verified that it's in my
>sys.path:

Well, if you format this somewhat differently, yes, it's the problem.
PyOpenGL currently requires NumPy (as distinct from NumArray).  I
haven't had the time to track down what's broken in the
PyOpenGL/NumArray interface (I gather NumArray is supposed to be
compatible with NumPy at some level, as it gets to the point of crashing
when people attempt to use this setup, but I don't know whether that's
supposed to be a binary compatibility or not).

Basically, to fix the problem, uninstall NumArray and install NumPy 23.0.

HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder