Can Python be run off of a CD-ROM?

Arthur ajs at optonline.net
Tue Dec 2 01:58:25 EST 2003

> Hi all,
>
> I teach middle school and am currently trying to bring some computer
science
> to the students. Our district has a wonderfully linked network throughout
> all our schools... done via MS Windows Network. In order to protect the
> network, our district's IT department does not want things installed on
the
> system (or at least makes it VERY difficult to get it done). SO, I am
using
> MSW Logo installed onto a CD-ROM... we just stick in the CD-ROMS and run
it
> off of them.

I would take a look at Knoppix:

http://www.knoppix.net/

Its a bootable iso image of a Gnu/Linux operating system which has recent
Python distro included. Linux being a Very Good Thing for educational use,
IMO.

Perhaps even better for your purposes is

FREEDUC
Live CD-ROM of free software for schools

http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd/

Knoppix based, stocked with free educational software meant for the grade
levels you are concerned with.

What I don't know if either has IDLE readily accessible.  Certainly Freeduc
should, if it doesn't.

Art