What GUI toolkit looks the best?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Dec 12 09:41:19 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.nospam at removeme.free.fr> writes:
> > > I guess
> > > I can get the client to pay
> >
> > Why ? It's free (as in free beer and free speech)
>
> I'm getting
> discouraged to hear that WxWindows itself has numerous bugs though.

Paul, that's a load of FUD, as someone else said.  While I'm sure
it's not bug-free, it does *not* in general crash as frequently
as Edward suggested.  In fact, I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of
people using it successfully (and quietly) for every time it has crashed
for him.  I'd suggest he investigate his own machine's stability rather
than pointing the figure solely at wxPython.  From my own experience,
it has *never* crashed in that manner, including after using the demo
extensively (i.e. trying out effectively *all* the included demos),
except with one that involved some DirectX or OpenGL stuff that wasn't
installed on my machine.

We haven't used it for really large apps, but we have a half dozen
smaller apps that are in relatively frequent use and so far no bug
reports of mysterious crashes.

Please don't let one person's experience spoil you on the idea of
at least investigating wxPython for your own use.

-Peter