ANNOUNCE: xsdb -- the eXtremely Simple Database goes alpha

Istvan Albert ZZZ-ialbert-ZZZ at mailblocks-ZZZ.com-ZZZ
Wed Dec 10 13:26:14 EST 2003

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> Sheesh, Aaron announces a database system that looks really spiffy from the
> examples, like ZODB without the pain of ExtensionClass, and the first two

But that is not just one aspect of it, it is a matter of the
most fundamental usability question, will it work on my system?

The answer is no, I have to install another version of python
to use it.

 > Probably because Stackless made it easier to write the server without
 > having to wrestle an async socket library such as Medusa or Twisted.

The question that needs to be answered is whether it would
be worth to wrestle with those rather than locking out
the vast majority of the potential users.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for everyone who
undertakes a project of this magnitude and complexity,
on the other hand I think that tying the project to a
python implementation that most of us have no compelling reason
to use will severely affect its overall impact. And it would
be a shame.

Istvan.