Python memory management

Marcelo A. Camelo camelo at esss.com.br
Wed Aug 27 12:43:00 EDT 2003

Hi!

I will be presenting Python to an audience of game developers, mostly
C/C++ programmers. In my presentation I will talk about using python and
C/C++ extension instead of pure C/C++ to write commercial games and
content creation tools.

In a number of times I have presented these ideas to this same kind of
audience and they were received with cold skepticism, despite the fact
that some, including me, are already doing this with quite some success.

I've noticed that, from all their concerns, the most difficult to tackle
(for me, at least) is memory management.

Currently, the most popular platform for game applications are videogame
consoles. Memory on these special purpose machines are a premium
resource and one should used it judiciously. Python's RTE footprint and
memory fragmentation issues make it a hard sell for game programmers
(many tend to prefer LUA).

I would like to address this topic in my presentation, showing the real
picture about python memory habits and how to gain control over memory
management when using Python. So, I'm looking the references on the
subject. Also, I would like to hear comments from those with experience
in tweaking python's memory management.

Cheers,

Marcelo A. Camelo, M. Eng. - Project Leader
ESSS - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software

E-mail: camelo at esss.com.br
Phone: +55-48-334-8922