Counsel bears (OT, Re: how fast is Python?)

Graham Fawcett graham__fawcett at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:18:11 EDT 2003

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote in message news:<vkhl98pfvs6r34 at corp.supernews.com>...
> In article <3F44DFEB.60AB6492 at engcorp.com>,
> Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> >dan wrote:
> >>
> >> However, there are definitely cases where a lot of code would need to
> >> be optimized, and so I ask the question:  How fast is Python, compared
> >> to say a typical optimizing C/C++ compiler?
> >
> >C is roughly 10 to 100 times faster than Python, though of course it's
> >easy to find cases outside of this range, on either side.
> >
> >I use 30 as a general overall rule of thumb, in the exceptionally
> >few cases where it seems relevant how much faster C would be.
> >
> >And in those very few cases, so far, I have consistently concluded
> >I'm happy enough with the speed of Python given that the speed of
> >*development* in Python is easily 5 to 10 times faster than the
> >speed of development in C.  (And again, it's easy to find cases
> >outside of this range, on either side...)
> 			.
> 			.
> I just think Peter's wise counsel bears repeating.

My comment is completely off-topic, but I enjoyed a lyrical moment
when I mis-read Cameron's statement, and found myself imagining what
"Peter's wise counsel bears" looked like. I am envious of Peter,
having never made any magical forest-friends myself.

If we each had at least /one/ wise counsel bear, then c.l.py would
certainly reap the benefits of our enhanced posts!

Yours,

-- Graham