Win32All Crashes Python 2.3?

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Aug 5 02:06:21 EDT 2003

Some time ago I wrote a portable file system browser, twander, that,
when runnning on Win32, will make use of the Win32All extensions if they
are present on the target system.  (http://www.tundraware.com/Software/twander)

twander primarily uses Win32All to get file attribute and ownership
information back in Win32-specific ways each time a new directory is
entered. (Ordinarily (if Win32All is not installed), it just displays an
'ls -al' style output and dummies up ownership and group membership.)

Now the problem - twander has worked fine with previous versions of
Python/Win32All up to and including 2.2.x.  It also works fine
with 2.3.  HOWEVER, if I install any of the 2.3 relevant versions
of Win32All, when I change to a new directory, Python crashes.
No traceback information is given so I cannot determine exactly
why this is happening.  What is strange is that the program
starts OK, which means it is using Win32All calls to determine
file system information for the initial directory.  It is only
upon changing directories that Python gets blown out of the water.

While it is certainly possible that this is a bug in my code, I
cannot imagine what it might be.  The program has worked flawlessly
on a wide variety of Unix/FreeBSD/Win32 systems with no reports
of this sort of thing.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?  Is this a reported
Win32All bug?

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com