Lawrence Oluyede raims at dot.com
Sat Aug 23 12:30:05 EDT 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:

> $ time p23 erf.py
> real    0m0.614s
> user    0m0.551s
> sys     0m0.029s
>
> This is twice as fast as optimized C:
>
> $ gcc erf.c -lm -o3
> $ time ./a.out
> real    0m1.125s
> user    0m1.086s
> sys     0m0.006s
>
> Here is the situation for pure Python
>
> $time p23 erf.jy
> real    0m25.761s
> user    0m25.012s
> sys     0m0.049s
>
> and, just for fun, here is Jython performance:
>
> $ time jython erf.jy
> real    0m42.979s
> user    0m41.430s
> sys     0m0.361s

Mmm...on my machine C is faster. What version of GCC do you have? I think
2.9x, right?

These are my timings (Debian GNU Linux Unstable, Duron 1300, Python2.3,
Psyco CVS, GCC 3.3.2, Java 1.4.1):

$ time python erf.py

real    0m0.251s
user    0m0.207s
sys     0m0.012s

$ gcc erf.c -lm -O3
$ time ./a.out

real    0m0.162s
user    0m0.157s
sys     0m0.001s

Notice that C is faster than Psyco + Python2.3 on my machine (about 65% of
speedup)

Without Psyco Python2.3 tooks about 6 seconds

$ time python erf.jy

real    0m6.177s
user    0m6.040s
sys     0m0.010s