P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Sat Aug 23 13:54:59 EDT 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:
> I posted this few weeks ago (remember the C Sharp thread?) but it went
> unnoticed on the large mass of posts, so let me retry. Here I get Python+
> Psyco twice as fast as optimized C
>
> $ gcc erf.c -lm -O3

try a 3.x series gcc with the appropriate -march=pentium3
You'll be pleasently surprised. I can't understand how
the sudden improvment of gcc code generation lately hasn't
been hyped more? If you want to try different machines
then http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/gcccpuopt will give
you the appropriate machine specific gcc options to use.
Note also -ffast-math might help a lot in this application?

cheers,
Pádraig.