Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 27 11:47:46 EDT 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> (I think it safe to say that during the 20th century, 99% of the 100s of
> millions of murders were committed by armed govern-men rather than by
> private persons acting alone.)

It may be safe to say it, but is it true, or merely hyperbole?

Were there "100s of millions of murders" in the 20th century, assuming
commonplace definitions of "murder" (killing humans), "million"
(10 to the 6th power), and "20th century" (period beginning roughly
January 1, 1900 and ending on or one year before December 31, 2000)?

That's a lot of people getting themselves killed, whatever the cause...

-Peter