Celebrity advice

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Aug 28 12:59:17 EDT 2003

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote previously:
|* RMS is unbending in his convictions...
|* ESR started out pretty well[*]: "CatB", whatever its flaws might be...
|* Linus ...not very interested in the job.
|The best candidate is Bruce Perens, IMHO...

Bruce is great! (And Andrew is right on in his characterizations).

But somehow my money is on the law professors, e.g.  Eben Moglen,
Lawrence Lessig, etc.  They are not nearly so active, nor so "leaderly."
But I think the real battles are (must be) in courtrooms and
legislatures, not (anymore) on developers' mailing lists.  It only does
limited good to have "working code" if the cops will knock down your
doors because that code violates the IP regime that Hollywood and MS
bought from congress (and from WIPO).

Yours, Lulu...

[*] Btw., I had not even know just how crazy ESR had gotten lately.  Not
a shred of independence or thought seems to remain.  He reads straight
off of Faux News or the RNC, e.g.:
http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/2002_10_13_armedndangerous_archive.html

--
 mertz@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/ v i
gnosis  _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises         _/_/  s r