Open Source leader? (was Re: Celebrity advice)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Aug 30 15:54:42 EDT 2003

In article <Kv-cnVDMbb1qmdOiRTvUqg at speakeasy.net>,
A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:

>The best candidate is Bruce Perens, IMHO.  He has the technical
>background of working on a non-trivial project (Debian), yet
>writes and presents in a style that doesn't attract attention and
>doesn't let irrelevancies intrude.  Compare his commentary on SCO
>(http://www.perens.com/SCO/SCOSlideShow.html) with ESR's counterblast.
>(To be fair, ESR's analysis of the code is also pretty good; the OSI
>letter is where it becomes unacceptable.)

OTOH, Perens is also (like me ;-) a self-described asshole.  When I saw
him at the Waterside Conference earlier this year, he basically claimed
that only assholes could make significant progress in the Open Source
community.  Linus and Guido are obvious counter-examples in some
respects, but as you point out, they're not really interested in a
spokesmodel position.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz