Unification of logging in Python's Standard Library

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Tue Aug 19 12:48:19 EDT 2003

"Matthew Barnes" <matthew at barnes.net> wrote in message
news:3a8e83d2.0308182217.7ccaf883 at posting.google.com...
> With the inclusion of the new 'logging' module in Python 2.3, I'm
> wondering whether there are plans to update the rest of the Standard
> Library to use this module wherever there is logging to be done.  I
> can think of a few Standard Library modules off the top of my head
> that currently "roll their own" logging system:
>
> asyncore.py
> BaseHTTPServer.py
> cgi.py
> doctest.py
> imaplib.py
> unittest.py
>
> A single, unified logging system across the entire Python Standard
> Library would be a worthy goal for some future release (Python 3000,
> or maybe even 2.4/2.5?).

I'm going to agree with Andrew: write a PEP.

Unittest, as far as I know, doesn't have a logging system, and
I, for one, don't want to see it burdened with a completely unnecessary
logging system. I can't comment on the other examples in your
list because I've never used them, but unittest is part of my standard
project life, and I like it the way it is, thanks. Kent Beck and the
other people involved in the xUnit development put a lot of thought
into how it works, and AFKC, lack of logging isn't one of the problems.

John Roth