Unification of logging in Python's Standard Library

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 15:38:44 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     Matthew> With the inclusion of the new 'logging' module in Python 2.3,
>     Matthew> I'm wondering whether there are plans to update the rest of the
>     Matthew> Standard Library to use this module wherever there is logging
>     Matthew> to be done.
>     Matthew> A single, unified logging system across the entire Python
>     Matthew> Standard Library would be a worthy goal for some future release
>     Matthew> (Python 3000, or maybe even 2.4/2.5?).
>
> Rather than bring it up on python-dev as Alex suggested (I think it might
> get lost there as well), I think you should open a bug report on SF which
> identifies the problem and which modules you think need to be updated.  This
> provides a record of how people think this task should be approached.  As
> time goes on, patches for specific modules can be attached to the report and
> incorporated into the modules in question.
>
> Another alternative is to write a PEP, though I don't think this is
> necessarily required for this particular task.  It also presents a higher
> barrier to action than a bug report.

One other point, which is worth mentioning (although don't let it put
you off reporting a bug or writing a PEP), is that something like this
is *far* more likely to happen if you contribute code rather than just
ideas.

If you haven't the expertise or time to contribute code, please still
raise the idea - but don't be too disappointed if it's hard to get
anyone to do anything about it.

If you *can* contribute code, then you'll be welcomed with open arms
of course. And your code will be ripped to shreds, but that's just to
show we all care :-)

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank