OT: Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Aug 28 01:44:37 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Gerrit Holl wrote:
> >
> > Peter Hansen wrote:
> > > But if you refuse to go to prison, things get lethal pretty quickly.
> > > That's what "ultimately" refers to above.
> >
> > Well, I don't think they get very lethal, they get painful at most.
> >
> > > I think the key word in the above is "ultimately", and
> > > I can see why ESR would (I think validly) state what he did above.
> >
> > Ultimately, the state will use violence. But this violence should not
> > have lethal consequences.
>
> No, you're not taking the word "ultimately" far enough.  First the state
> tries to get painful on your ass, so you resist.  Then they get really
> violent, and still you resist.  Picture the nature of this resistance,
> which usually would have to involve standing up to armed police by
> this point.  Now tell me how, you plan to avoid *ultimately* getting to
> the lethal stage, without giving in first.

OK; but the last lethal stage is reached *only* if the civilian involved
*also* defends himself with the same means as the government. So, things
will get lethal ulmitately *only* if the civilian owns the same arms as
the government. Consequently, ESR's statement is only applicable to the
situation he promotes.

If I resist and keep resisting using only my fists or even a knife, the
Dutch police will be able to take me to prison without killing me. A
qualified police force should even be able to do this even when I am
using a gun, but does not always succeed in this.

Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/
	http://www.sp.nl/