OT: Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Thu Aug 28 15:12:04 EDT 2003

Quoting Gerrit Holl (gerrit at nl.linux.org):
> Geoff Gerrietts wrote:
> > Quoting Gerrit Holl (gerrit at nl.linux.org):
> > >
> > > Well, I don't think they get very lethal, they get painful at most.
> >
> > It depends on the case. Several times in recent history, the American
> > FBI has deployed lethal force when it was insufficiently provoked
> > (Ruby Ridge, Waco).
>
> "Several times in (American) history" is, of course, not the same as
> "every dicision", "ultimately".

And neither is it "they get painful at most", which is the point I was
making. ESR overstates his point to make his point; you're doing the
same. Whether either point can be made is a different question, as is
whether either should be made.

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "There is no fate that cannot be
<geoff at gerrietts net>     surmounted by scorn." --Albert Camus